Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting Coated


"You never forget the moment you become a doctor. A switch flips, suddenly you aren’t playing dress up anymore. You own the white coat. What you may not notice is the moment that being a doctor changes you "


The White Coat Ceremony is a day that every medical student will tell you they look forward to from the time they decided to go to medical school. Its kind of a big deal. The white coat represents our commitment to medicine, the hard work that we've done to get here and the hard work that we'll continue to do. It represents everything we've ever wanted to be. I have been counting down to receiving that coat with my name on it for as long as I can remember. Its hard to believe that yesterday was the day.  With the words "welcome to the medical family" the key note speaker made me realized my dream of being a physician was coming true. Sure I've been in medical school for 6 months and I've certainly come to the realization of the work making my dream come true entails but until yesterday it hadn't hit me.  Putting on that coat made me realize where I am and what I'm doing. As I stood reciting the pledge of commitment to our profession with the rest of my class in our newly adorned white coats I couldn't help but smile. I'm so excited for the things that lie ahead of me and the doors this path will open for me. I'm proud to say I've officially been coated!







We opened the ceremony with the reading of "The Physician's Prayer" so Im going to end this post with it:
"Lord, Thou Great Physician, I kneel before Thee. Since every good and perfect gift must come from Thee: 
I Pray
Give skill to my hand, clear vision to my mind, kindness and sympathy to my heart. Give me singleness of purpose, strength to lift at least a part of the burden of my suffering fellow men, and a true realization of the rare privilege that is mine. Take from my heart all guile and worldliness, that with the simple faith of a child I may rely on Thee.
Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment